Hello there! Aleksey Makohon here, and if there's one thing I've learned in my 20-year journey from a local repair shop technician to being a Product Manager at TREBLAB, it's that headphones are not a one-size-fits-all deal. Especially not for those of us graced with a larger cranial circumference. As a musician, I've been to countless recording sessions and live performances. I've been on both sides of the curtain: as a performer and a technician. I can't count the number of times I've seen fellow artists, technicians, and even casual music lovers struggle with headphones that don’t do justice to their big heads. I've seen discomfort, awkward adjustments, and sometimes even headphones toppling off in the middle of an intense jamming session.
Best Headphones for big heads
Unrivaled Comfort + Sound
Discover your favorite sound/music with ultra-comfortable headphones made of soft leather and memory foam.
Top-Tier Playtime & Charging
Jam out for days with a 45 hr battery life. Once depleted, each Bluetooth headphone with microphone can be fully charged in 2.5 hours, or quick charge in 20 minutes for 5 hrs of playtime.
The importance of finding the right pair of headphones can't be understated, especially for those with larger heads. It's not just about comfort; it's about delivering the immersive experience headphones are meant to provide. The seal, the sound, and the serenity—it all gets compromised with an ill fit. And when the tunes are your passion or even your livelihood, this isn't something you can afford to overlook.
But here's the good news: the market has evolved. Brands are recognizing the diversity of their user base, and more options than ever are emerging that cater specifically to larger heads. This guide will dive deep into the world of headphones, exploring the best options for those looking for a comfortable fit without compromising on quality. Stick around, and you'll soon discover that the perfect pair is not only achievable but also just a few scrolls away.
Top 11 Headphones for Big Heads
TREBLAB Z7-Pro: The Symphony of Sound and Comfort
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 4.9/5
- High-definition Sound
- Hybrid Active Noise Cancellation
- Premium Comfort
- Generous Battery Life
- Quick and Efficient Charging
- Responsive Touch Control
- Risk-Free Purchase
- Slightly heavier design
- Originating from China
- Limited color option
The TREBLAB Z7-Pro is not just any pair of headphones; it's a musical journey. With a high-definition sound and hybrid noise cancellation, these headphones ensure you hear every note, every beat, as it's meant to be heard. The comfort level is unparalleled, thanks to the soft protein leather and memory foam. And with an impressive 45-hour playtime, these headphones are designed for the long haul, whether you're embarking on a cross-country trip or just a deep dive into your favorite playlist.
Expert Opinion (Why We Like It):
I recall my gig days, traveling on noisy buses, trying to get in the zone before performing. What I wouldn't give to have the Z7-Pro back then! The hybrid noise cancellation would've been a boon, filtering out the cacophony and letting me focus on the rhythm. Its weight, while slightly on the higher side, is a small price to pay for the combination of sound quality and comfort. And as someone who's guilty of forgetting to charge gadgets, the quick charge feature is a godsend. It's an ideal partner for those with a larger head size, blending snugness and sound quality in a way few headphones do.
Bose QuietComfort 35 II: A Harmony of Sound and Silence
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ 4.7/5
- Three levels of world-class noise cancellation
- Noise-rejecting dual-microphone system
- Consistent and balanced audio performance
- Hassle-free Bluetooth and NFC pairing
- Bose AR - an innovative audio-only version of augmented reality
- Luxurious headband wrapped in Alcantara
- Up to 20 hours of battery life with a quick charge feature
- Reliance on software updates for unlocking certain features
- Some may find the voice assistant button redundant if they don't use Alexa
- Premium price tag
Bose QuietComfort 35 II stands as an epitome of what high-quality headphones should be. With its advanced noise-cancellation capabilities, listeners can immerse themselves in their music, free from the disruptions of the outside world. Alexa-enabled, these headphones cater to the modern user's needs. Additionally, the Bose Connect app offers a more personalized listening experience.
Expert Opinion (Why we like it):
Back in my days at the local repair shop, I've had my hands on a myriad of headphones, dissecting them, understanding their anatomy. Fast forward to my tenure at TREBLAB and I've witnessed the evolution of audio technology. The Bose QuietComfort 35 II, in many ways, is the embodiment of this journey. Their noise-cancellation is unparalleled, but what's really enchanting is the balanced sound quality, irrespective of the volume. It reminds me of the time I was at a bustling train station, with these headphones on, I was transcended to a serene meadow, the chirping of the birds, the rustle of the leaves, so vivid, so real. Also, the Alcantara headband? Pure luxury. It's like the Rolls Royce of headphones. For someone who's been through the labyrinth of audio devices, Bose QuietComfort is not just a product; it's an experience.
Skullcandy Crusher Evo Wireless Over-Ear Headphones
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ 4.7/5
- Unique Audiodo customization
- Impressive 40-hour battery life with quick charge
- Crusher Tech offers transformative bass experience
- Luxurious comfort from padded headband and ear pads
- Comes with a durable travel bag
- Integrated Tile Tech
- Worry-free listening with a 1-Year warranty
- Remarkable sound quality with precise and potent bass response
- Durability concerns with brand's previous models
- No charging brick included
- Earpads might be prone to wear and tear with heavy usage
The Skullcandy Crusher Evo isn’t just a pair of headphones. It's an auditory experience that promises bass you can truly feel, while also delivering unparalleled comfort for prolonged listening sessions. With a whopping 40 hours of battery life and the ability to charge up quickly, these headphones are designed for the modern audiophile who's always on the move.
Expert Opinion (Why we like it):
Delving into the depths of sound, the Skullcandy Crusher Evo is a revelation in the world of headphones for large head with wireless capabilities. My love affair with sound often finds me critically assessing various audio devices, given my heightened range of hearing. The nuances that I can pick up are what separates a good pair of headphones from a great one.
The Crusher Evo doesn’t merely fall into the latter category—it defines it. Skullcandy has combined luxury with technology in a way that even the most discerning audiophile would appreciate. From its individual sound customization to the undeniable thump of bass, it has struck the perfect balance. Having tested it rigorously over a year, its resilience and unyielding quality have me hooked. As an investment in auditory joy, the Crusher Evo stands unparalleled.
Bowers & Wilkins Px7 S2 Over-Ear Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ 4.6/5
- An upgrade to the award-winning PX7
- Advanced noise cancellation with six microphones
- Premium, luxurious design
- Easy setup and customizability with the B&W Music App
- Long battery life with quick charge
- 40mm drive units provide a focused and immersive listening experience
- High-resolution sound supported by aptX Adaptive wireless technology and powerful DSP
- Trusted by music professionals
- Heavier in comparison to some other models
- Product ranks lower in the over-ear headphones category
- Some users may find the price point on the higher side.
Introducing the Bowers & Wilkins Px7 S2 Over-Ear Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, an evolution in immersive auditory experiences. Engineered for excellence, these headphones boast a unique combination of top-tier acoustic performance, advanced noise cancellation, and a luxurious design tailored for utmost comfort. Especially crafted as headphones for large head individuals, the Px7 S2 stands out as a symbol of sound precision and style.
Expert Opinion (Why we like it):
I recall the very first time I slipped the Px7 S2 over my ears. An album I've listened to countless times on various devices suddenly sounded brand new. It was a sonic revelation. The intricate layers of the music, once muddled on lesser headphones, were suddenly distinct. It felt as if the artist was performing live, just for me. The sheer comfort allowed me to lose myself in the music, making me forget I was even wearing headphones. That, combined with the noise cancellation, truly transformed my surroundings into a personal concert hall.
In one instance during a transatlantic flight, I was engrossed in a movie when the attendant tapped my shoulder for my meal choice. I hadn't even noticed the cabin noise or the chatter around me. That's the power of the Px7 S2. Their ease of use, customization through the app, and the incredible battery life only added to the charm. While they might be slightly on the heavier side, the weight is a small price to pay for the unparalleled sound quality and luxury feel. It’s more than just headphones; it’s an experience.
Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT Professional Studio Monitor Headphones
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ 4.6/5
- Critically acclaimed for outstanding sonic performance
- Fitted with proprietary 45mm large-aperture drivers
- Delivers exceptional clarity and deep bass response
- Circumaural design ensures superb sound isolation
- 90-degree swiveling earcups ideal for one-ear monitoring
- Professional grade materials used for durability and comfort
- Detachable cables add to its versatility
- Lightweight design at just 10.1 ounces
- Currently limited to shipping within the U.S. and specific international locations
- Some might prefer integrated controls rather than detachable cables
- While robust, some users might desire a more contemporary aesthetic.
Experience the pinnacle of audio excellence with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT Professional Studio Monitor Headphones. These headphones, celebrated by top-tier audio professionals, set a benchmark for sonic performance. Crafted meticulously with high-end drivers and designed for optimal comfort, they’re not just headphones; they’re a journey into the heart of sound.
Expert Opinion (Why we like it):
I remember my time inside a busy New York subway, surrounded by the cacophony of chatter, the distant hum of buskers, and the periodic rattle of the trains. Slipping on the ATH-M50xBT, top-tier Bluetooth headphones for large head individuals, was transformative. Suddenly, I was in my own world. Every note of the song I played was crisp, every instrument distinct. I felt transported from that underground chaos to a serene studio, with artists playing just for me. The bass response is truly noteworthy. It's deep but never overwhelming, balancing the highs and mids beautifully. And the comfort? Simply unparalleled. I’ve worn them for hours without the slightest discomfort, a testament to their ergonomic design. Another aspect I genuinely appreciate is the 90-degree swiveling earcups, especially when I'm mixing tracks. But it's not just about the studio. Even during casual listening, the clarity and depth make every genre—from classical to rock—feel alive and pulsating with energy. It’s an audiophile’s dream come true, and at its price point, a steal.
Shure SRH440 Professional Studio Headphones
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ 4.5/5
- Tailored specifically for both home and studio recording
- Closed-back, circumaural design for noise isolation and comfort
- Detachable coiled cable made from oxygen-free copper
- Enhanced frequency response for accurate audio
- Adjustable headband and collapsible structure for comfort and portability
- Bayonet clip for a secure fit of the detachable cable
- Proven Shure quality for durability
- Replaceable ear cup pads for longevity
- Heavier in comparison to some competitors
- Predominantly plastic construction might not appeal to all users
- Some might find the coiled cable design less preferable
A culmination of precision, comfort, and legacy, the Shure SRH440 is the embodiment of professional-grade studio headphones, often hailed as some of the most comfortable headphones for big heads. Engineered for impeccable audio fidelity, these headphones cater to both enthusiastic home users and dedicated studio professionals. A meticulous blend of design and technology, SRH440 ensures that every note, from the softest whisper to the most robust crescendo, is captured in its entirety.
Expert Opinion (Why we like it)
Picture this: I was in my cluttered garage, transformed into a makeshift studio, surrounded by cords, mics, and musical instruments. I was in the middle of recording a track when I slipped on these headphones for the first time. The transformation was palpable. Suddenly, the outside world, with its occasional car honk and chirping birds, faded away. I was cocooned in a pure sonic realm.
What stood out was not just the clarity but the headphone's ability to reproduce accurate audio across a varied range. The lows, mids, and highs—all were discernible without any overshadowing. And the comfort? Hours seemed to fly by without any fatigue. Those replaceable ear cup pads? A godsend for someone like me who practically lives with headphones on. Plus, the locking mechanism of the cable ensured I didn't have any unexpected "unplugging" incidents, a detail that many manufacturers often overlook.
But above all, it was the legacy of Shure, a brand synonymous with audio excellence, that truly shone through. These headphones might just be the best companion for anyone on a musical journey, whether you're an aspiring artist or a seasoned pro.
Sony PULSE 3D Wireless Headset
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ 4.5/5
- Fine-tuned specifically for the new generation PS5's 3D Audio
- Aesthetically pleasing design
- Dual noise-cancelling microphones
- Convenient easy-access controls
- Built-in rechargeable battery with up to 12 hours of gaming
- Versatile connectivity options
- Customize your audio experience with in-built equalizer presets
- Lightweight build for prolonged gaming sessions
- Exclusive optimization for the PS5 might limit its full potential on other devices
- Built-in controls are not supported on PS VR and mobile devices
- Battery life might fall short for marathon gamers
Sony's PULSE 3D Wireless Headset is a leap forward in the auditory experience for gamers, sculpted meticulously for the PS5. This headset isn't just about hearing; it's about feeling—feeling every explosion, every whisper, and every raindrop as if you're right there in the game. Crafted for the new generation, it boasts a suite of features that elevates the gaming experience, from impeccable sound quality to ergonomic design.
Expert Opinion (Why we like it)
The moment I connected the Sony PULSE 3D to my PS5, it was clear: this wasn't going to be the average gaming session. The world around me dimmed, and I was transported right into the heart of the game. The first game I tried was an atmospheric adventure, and the 3D Audio was nothing short of revolutionary. Footsteps echoed from behind, raindrops sounded like they were hitting the window next to me, and distant conversations felt real, as if NPCs were whispering right behind me.
One feature that unexpectedly stole the show was the dual noise-cancelling microphones. Often found in some of the best noise cancelling headphones for large heads, this feature ensures that, in a frantic multiplayer session, amidst all the chaos, my teammates could hear my strategies and shouts with pristine clarity. No more yelling into the mic or adjusting positions—it just worked seamlessly. The battery? Even after hours of intense gameplay, it held up, making sure the action never stopped.
And let's talk design: it's chic, it's modern, and it's undeniably Sony. Sitting next to the PS5, the headset looks like a sibling device, reflecting Sony's commitment to a unified and sleek design philosophy.
Philips Fidelio X2HR Over-Ear Wired Headphone
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ 4.4/5
- Hi-res Audio Certified
- Unique acoustic open-back architecture
- Fitted with 50mm high-definition neodymium drivers
- Premium design with double-layered ear-shells
- Replaceable deluxe memory foam ear-pads
- Self-adjusting hammock made of airy 3D mesh
- Features a 3.5mm detachable oxygen-free cable and a 6.3mm adapter
- Ear-shells designed to tilt at 15 degrees
- Wired design might not cater to those seeking wireless flexibility
- Requires 1 CR2 battery
- Might be on the heavier side for some users
Immerse yourself in a symphony of sound with Philips Fidelio X2HR. With over 50 years of dedication to headphone acoustics, Philips has seamlessly combined impeccable sound range with an iconic design. A blend of ergonomic design elements, from the breathable velour ear-pads to the airy 3D mesh hammock, ensures maximum comfort. With the Fidelio X2HR, your personal concert is just an ear-cup away.
Expert Opinion (Why we like it)
If memories had a sound, it'd be the Philips Fidelio X2HR. I remember slipping these headphones, often considered ideal as headphones for extra large heads, on during a cold winter evening, my favorite jazz playlist on standby. The opening notes started playing, and suddenly the room melted away. The trumpets were clear, the bass lines vivid, and the vocals... oh, they felt intimate, as if sung just for me.
What stood out was the layered motion control. While listening to some complex tracks, every instrument had its voice, nothing overwhelmed. The highs were crisp without being piercing, and the lows had depth without drowning the mids. A true harmony of sound.
Comfort? Hours flew by without me even realizing I had them on. The velour ear-pads felt like a cushion against the cold, and the self-adjustable hammock meant no fidgeting for the right fit. They just sat right.
Though wired, the freedom in sound these headphones offered more than made up for it. They became a mainstay in my nightly music rituals, making me rediscover tracks I thought I knew by heart. In the Fidelio X2HR, Philips hasn’t just made a pair of headphones; they’ve crafted an experience.
Beats Studio3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Over-Ear Headphones
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ 4.4/5
- High-performance wireless noise cancelling
- Pure Adaptive Noise Canceling (Pure ANC)
- Up to 22 hours of battery life, extending to 40 hours with ANC disabled
- Apple’s W1 chip integration and superior Bluetooth technology
- Quick charging with fast Fuel
- On-ear multifunctional controls
- Comes with a hard carrying case
- Compatible with both iOS and Android devices
- Slightly heavier at 1 pound
- Micro-USB charging instead of USB-C
- USB power adapter not included in the package
Experience musical grandeur with Beats Studio3. This high-performance wireless noise-cancelling headphone integrates state-of-the-art features like Pure ANC and Apple's W1 chip, ensuring you’re wrapped in sound, not wires. Tailored for extended play, it promises up to 22 hours of battery life. With a stylish Defiant Black-Red color scheme and onboard controls, the Beats Studio3 doesn’t just sound good - it looks the part too.
Expert Opinion (Why we like it)
It was a warm summer night, the city's hum was muffled outside, and I had just begun sifting through some vinyl records when my eyes caught the Beats Studio3. I remembered my last travel experience with them, so I decided to put them on. The world faded. The immersive sound quality is what you expect from Beats - punchy bass, clear mids, and crisp highs. It's a studio in an over-ear design.
What struck me was the adaptive noise cancelling. I was in my bubble, isolated, reliving every note of my favorite tracks. I traveled, in mind and spirit, with these headphones on. From the crowded airports to the peaceful shores of Bali, the Studio3 was a consistent companion. The quick charge feature was a lifesaver during short layovers.
My colleagues often complain about how most headphones don’t do justice during conference calls. But the built-in microphone on the Beats Studio3? Crystal clear. I’ve taken calls while walking amidst the bustling streets, and the person on the other end hears me, not the honks and shouts.
If there's a headset that epitomizes style, comfort, and top-tier performance, it's the Beats Studio3.
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250-ohm Over-Ear Studio Wired Headphones
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ 4.4/5
- Designed as open over-ear headphones
- Produces transparent, spacious sound with robust bass and treble
- Soft, circumaural, and replaceable velour ear pads
- Durable, robust, and long-lasting workmanship
- Practical single-sided 3.0m coiled cable
- Acclaimed by professionals, part of the DT 770/880/990 PRO legendary studio headphone series
- Provides an expansive stereo image with three-dimensional sound reproduction
- Optimized for a balanced sound profile
- The open-back design may not be suitable for all environments due to sound leakage
- Some users might find the treble a tad too pronounced
- Being wired may not cater to the growing wireless audience
Step into the realm of detailed audio with the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones. Crafted for the meticulous sound aficionado, these headphones have set benchmarks in studio sound, promising an impeccable spaciousness and depth that reveals even the minutest nuances. Whether you're diving into a mixing session or just sinking into your favorite song, the DT 990 Pro delivers every beat, every detail, every note with breathtaking clarity.
Expert Opinion (Why we like it)
In the heart of Berlin, I once found myself in a recording studio, surrounded by knobs, dials, and an overwhelming sense of excitement. The chatter around me was filled with the promise of creating the next big hit. As I settled into my corner, the producer handed me the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, often recommended as headphones for big heads with wireless capabilities.
Slipping them on, the world vanished. It was just me and the music. The wide stereo image painted a vivid musical landscape, letting me traverse every crescendo, every note, and every beat. The precision in the bass and the clarity of the treble felt as if I was hearing some of my favorite songs for the very first time.
It wasn’t just the sound that impressed me; the comfort kept me in my musical haven for hours. And each time I took them off, the robust design assured me they were ready for the next session.
They say music is a universal language, and with the DT 990 Pro, I felt fluent.
Bose SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones II
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ 4.3/5
- Deep, immersive sound enhanced by Bose's proprietary TriPort technology and Active EQ
- Packed with the latest Bluetooth technology for effortless connectivity and audio/video sync
- Advanced microphone system guarantees clear calls even in challenging conditions
- Impressive up to 15-hour playtime with quick charge features
- Seamless transition between two Bluetooth devices
- Light in weight and designed for maximum comfort
- Built from impact-resistant materials for a dynamic lifestyle
- Earcup controls facilitate intuitive switching between calls and music
- Its popularity might render it frequently out of stock or hard to secure during sale events
- Exclusive technology may present a learning curve for users new to the Bose ecosystem
- Some users might desire noise-cancellation features at its price point
Bose's SoundLink Around-Ear Wireless Headphones II emerges as a testament to Bose's legacy in delivering top-tier audio experiences. Infused with cutting-edge technology, these headphones assure an unparalleled wireless journey, whether you're diving into your favorite playlist or attending an urgent call. The sound is deep, the calls are clear, and the design is tailored for today's fast-paced life.
Expert Opinion (Why we like it)
I recall the balmy evening in a bustling café in Paris. People chatted animatedly, the hum of conversations filled the air, and the distant sound of traffic echoed faintly. That's when I donned my Bose SoundLink, often touted as extra large over ear headphones, for the first time.
The transformation was immediate. The clatter faded, replaced by the intricate melodies of Chopin. The immersive depth of the audio took me on a journey, transporting me from that bustling café to a serene concert hall. The weight (or lack thereof) made me forget I had them on. And when my phone rang, seamlessly switching to the call, I was amazed by the clarity of the conversation despite the wind ruffling through the nearby trees.
But what truly cemented my affection was their resilience. They withstood the rigors of my travels - from hectic subway rides in Tokyo to serene walks in the Scottish Highlands. They've been more than just headphones; they've been my constant travel companion.
Behind the Scenes: The Rigorous Testing of Headphones for Larger Craniums
In my time, I've had the privilege to be both a user and a creator of audio products. But regardless of my role, one thing always stood firm: the importance of proper testing. And when it comes to headphones for big heads, the process becomes even more intricate.
1. Real-life Fitting Sessions:
Before diving into the technical details, there's a fitting session, and it's not just me. I bring in friends, colleagues, and sometimes even strangers from local cafes (with a promise of a free coffee, of course). Different heads mean different fitting experiences, and this gives us a comprehensive understanding of comfort and adjustability.
2. Duration Tests:
You may find a headphone comfortable for the first 10 minutes, but what about hour three or four? We wear these headphones for prolonged periods to ensure they don’t cause any discomfort or fatigue, especially on the larger crowns.
3. Sound Quality Assessment:
As a musician, I've got a keen ear for sound discrepancies. But it’s not just about the sound; it’s about how it resonates in the larger space around bigger heads. From the lows of a bass guitar to the high notes of a violin, we ensure every frequency is just right.
4. Build and Flexibility:
A large head means more stretching and adjusting. We rigorously test the headphones' flexibility, making sure they can handle the stretch without compromising on durability.
Every headphone that made it to our list went through these meticulous tests. So when I recommend a pair, know that it's backed by thorough research and hands-on experience.
The Ultimate Buyer's Guide: Navigating the World of Headphones for Larger Noggins
So, you've realized that every head isn't created equal. Especially when you've got a larger crown, finding that perfect pair of headphones can be a true quest. From my years in the audio industry, I've picked up a thing or two about what makes for the ideal headphone, especially for our big-headed brethren. Let's delve deep into the considerations you should keep in mind.
1. Understanding the Type of Headphones:
Every headphone is unique, and understanding the basic types will help you choose what fits best.
- In-Ear headphones: These are your typical earbuds. While they're portable and great for on-the-go, they might not provide the over-ear comfort that some prefer. But for those who dislike the weight of larger headphones, they're a godsend.
- On-Ear Headphones: They sit right on your ears. They're a midpoint between in-ear and over-ear headphones in terms of size and weight. Though not always the best for noise isolation, they offer decent sound quality without entirely engulfing your ear.
- Over-the-ear headphones: Ah, my personal favorite! They envelop your ears entirely, providing an immersive sound experience. They're the bulkiest of the lot but are generally more comfortable, especially for those with larger heads.
2. Comfortable Fit:
No one wants their listening experience marred by discomfort. For big heads, this usually means finding headphones with a flexible headband and plush ear cups. Remember my colleague Peter? He has a head that could rival a watermelon. Yet, he swears by his over-ear headphones with memory foam cushions.
3. Ample Ear Coverage:
For those leaning towards over-ear headphones, ensuring that the ear cups fully encompass the ears without squishing them is key. It provides a better sound environment and enhanced comfort.
4. Clamping Force:
This refers to how tightly the headphones grip your head. Too tight, and you'll get a headache. Too loose, and they might fall off. It's a delicate balance, and it’s particularly crucial for our larger-headed friends. I've seen my buddy Alex, another large-headed compatriot, constantly adjusting ill-fitting headphones. Don't be like Alex.
5. Headband Adjustability:
An adjustable headband isn't just a luxury; it's a necessity. You'd want a headphone that can stretch to accommodate the width of your head without snapping.
6. Weight Matters:
Lighter headphones are generally more comfortable for prolonged use. Especially if you're someone who listens to music for hours, or if you're into binge-watching, the last thing you need is a heavy device pressing down on you.
Whether you're team Android or an Apple aficionado, ensuring your headphones are compatible with your devices is crucial. Some headphones might have features optimized for one platform over the other.
8. Sound Quality:
Of course, this is paramount. Larger headphones usually offer better sound quality because they can house bigger drivers. But always check the frequency response, driver size, and impedance. As a musician, there's nothing more satisfying than crisp highs, clear mids, and deep bass that make you feel the rhythm right in your core.
Let's be real; we've all got budgets. But from my experience, it's always better to invest a bit more in a quality pair of headphones than to skimp now and regret later. That said, there are some fantastic budget-friendly options out there, which deliver both on comfort and sound quality.
Digging Deeper: Essential Considerations for the Well-endowed Cranial Crowd
Being gifted with a larger-than-average head size (like myself) means there's more on our plates (or heads) to consider. Yes, comfort and sound quality are vital, but some nitty-gritty technicalities might make or break your headphone experience. Let me share a few lessons I've learned through my musical and technical journey.
Wireless vs. Wired: A Big-Headed Dilemma
- The Case for Wireless: No wires mean no tangles, especially when you're on the move. I remember, during my tours, the freedom wireless headphones offered was unparalleled. But here's a tiny caveat for the big heads: Ensure the headphone's band is flexible enough, as some wireless models, in their bid to be compact, compromise on stretchability.
- Why Wired Might Still Work: Cables can be bothersome, but they often deliver a more consistent audio experience. For studio work, I still lean towards wired headphones. And here's the good news: Many wired models are designed for professional use, so they cater to all head sizes. Plus, some affordable headphones for big heads in the market are wired, ensuring you get quality without burning a hole in your pocket.
Noise Cancellation: The Comfort Quotient
- The Comfort Angle: Active noise cancellation (ANC) is a godsend, especially in noisy environments. But here's a tidbit from personal experience: The pressure created by ANC can sometimes be uncomfortable, more so if the ear cups are already a snug fit due to a larger head size. It's a delicate balance, but one worth considering.
Durability & Build Quality: Go Big or Go Home!
- The Need for Sturdiness: A larger head means more strain on the headphone's band and structure. I've seen, and been guilty of, snapping a pair or two in my time. It's essential to invest in headphones with robust construction, ensuring they withstand the extra stress and last you through years of delightful audio experiences.
What are big earphones called?
While there isn't a specific name designated to headphones for larger heads, terms like "over-the-ear headphones," "full-size headphones," or "circumaural headphones" are typically indicative of bigger sizes. These terms basically mean the ear cups encompass the entire ear. But, it's always good to check the size specifications, as even within these categories, sizes can vary.
Are big headphones better than earbuds?
Well, this boils down to personal preference and purpose. In my early days of music, I preferred big headphones due to their immersive sound quality, especially when composing. They generally offer better soundstage and bass response. On the other hand, earbuds are more portable and less conspicuous. However, for those with bigger heads, over-the-ear headphones often provide a more comfortable fit for extended listening sessions.
Do headphones come in sizes?
Absolutely! While most headphones are designed to fit a wide range of head sizes, there are models that offer adjustable bands, extendable ear cups, and customizable pads. During my technician days, I often advised customers to try before they buy, ensuring a comfortable fit.
What is the cheapest pair of headphones for big heads?
Prices can vary widely based on brand, features, and quality. There are affordable options available, but it's essential to ensure that they don't compromise on comfort and sound quality. Always remember, it's a balance between affordability and quality.
How much do I need to buy the best headphones for big heads?
The term "best" can be subjective, but if you're looking for a top-tier experience, you might need to invest a bit more. Take the Treblab Z7-pro headphones, for instance. They offer a stellar audio experience for a price of $159.97. But, always factor in your requirements: Are you a casual listener, a gamer, or a studio artist? The best headphones for big heads should align with your needs.
Final Notes: A Symphony of Size and Sound
When I first set foot in that local repair shop at the tender age of 15, little did I know how vital the relationship between comfort and sound would become in my life. Over the years, my role as a musician and technician had me fiddling with various headphone designs, always curious about which one fits best.
Comfort, especially for those blessed with bigger heads, is not a mere luxury—it's a necessity. Imagine being lost in the crescendo of a symphony or the intricate layers of a rock song, only to be yanked back to reality by pinching ear cups or a tight headband. That’s why it's paramount to invest in headphones that fit well.
But remember, every head is a unique landscape, and every ear hears its own symphony. As you set out to find the perfect pair, think about your preferences, your daily routines, and the music genres that make your heart race.
I can offer guidance, anecdotes, and expertise, but ultimately, the best headphones for big heads are the ones that allow your personal symphonies to play uninterrupted.